Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mix-Matched Sprinkle Whoopie Pies

Ryan loves whoopie pies. The word love could be an understatement. He has been asking me to make some for as long as I can remember. Every time we see a picture of one I get the puppy dog face. So, I finally gave him what he wanted. I figured it would be a good first addition to Sugarly Ever After. 


Let me just say that whoopie pies are cute, fun, and tasty. However, these were also a pain in the butt for me to complete. I realized I had hardly any rainbow sprinkles half-way into making them. I then had the task of throwing together every sprinkle I could find in my baking cabinet to put in these. We are talking Halloween, Valentine and Christmas sprinkles...I think Easter even made it into these cookies.


The dough itself was easy, that is the good news. The frosting was a bit of a mess for me. I definitely think next time I will attempt a stiff frosting. Perfectionists and wet, squishy frosting is not a good combination, trust me. I spent forever trying to get the frosting perfect, and it just wasn't happening. I tried not to eat these (yeah, right) but once I tried them I couldn't seem to stop. Crack pies would be a better name. If you like sugar cookies and frosting, you will want these in your belly asap.




Funfetti Whoopie Pies

Cookies
2 sticks softened butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
1 egg
2 cups cake flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup colored sprinkles (long, rainbow kind is best)
More sprinkles for rolling



Beat the butter and sugar on high speed for about 5 minutes or until fluffy. Add the vanilla, butter flavor, and egg. Beat until well combined. Sift in the flours, soda, and salt. Mix to combine. Stir in the sprinkles. Chill the dough. If you're in a hurry, throw in in the freezer. 


Preheat the oven to 375ยบ. Take a small piece of the dough, dip in the sprinkles and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until the sheet is filled. Bake about 7 minutes. Keep the remaining dough in the freezer while the other are baking. They will flatten out as the bake and puff up a little when they're done. Sandwich cooled cookies together with filling if desired (recipe below).


Filling
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks cold butter, chopped into small cubes
2 tablespoons sprinkles

Beat the cream and vanilla until slightly thickened. Beat in the powdered sugar until thick and smooth. 
Beat in about one fourth of the cold butter cubes at a time on high speed. Beat for about 10 minutes on high speed in your stand mixer until smooth. Don't be afraid if it looks weird at first. Just keep beating! Fold in the sprinkles. Use to fill cooled cookies.

Recipe courtesy of Yammie's Noshery.


No comments:

Post a Comment